Tuesday 22 April 2008

Don't Call it a Comeback

I'm not jumping on the "let's hate China" bandwagon that's been making it's way around the world lately with the Flame. I've been on the wagon since highschool. Maybe I'm even driving it sometimes. I've had the bumper stickers, the T-shirts....Free Tibet! When my peers were asking me, what the hell is a tibet?

So, I should be happy that all my marching and letter sending and lecture attending just might be paying off somehow, right? Instead I get this feeling of, it's too little too late. We're talking about a massacre of people and a culture that has been taking place for almost 60 years. And not a peep about it until now? Not even a nod in the direction of the Tibetan people until sports get involved? I really can't find the word that adequately describes my feelings about this, but if there is a word beyond disgust...that's the one.

Tibet, like Darfur, has nothing we need. No oil, no other natural resources to take advantange of....so march on China. Who are we to bite the hands that feed the USA?

Now, I see desperation in the eyes of a people who are raised to know compassion for everything that breathes....especially their enemies. Now I see hatred in the eyes of monks and nuns instead of hope and prayers....while the world keeps buying the trinkets China churns out at us.

This is the last ditch effort. This is the Tibetan people's moment. If the US and other countries do not boycott the Olympics, another moment like this one to bear witness to the plight of Tibet may never come again....back under the radar they will go while our next President makes his/her niceties with the Chinese government. Just another boss same as the old boss and the Tibtans are looking to us for change. They are done hoping. They are doing. They're asking the same of us.

2 comments:

AP said...

i appreicate the ll cool j allusion

Anne said...

i try to use it as much as possible.