Friday 10 October 2008

Spain: Day 1.5

Here we are....in Marbella for those of you not keeping up....or for those you who have better things to do...which I hope is the case.

So. (Europeans say this a lot. Pretty much before and after every sentence. I've begun doing the same.)

So...Day one went something like this: arrive in Spain...Cate announces to the entire plane once we land that "I'm never doing this again!" Apparently, she is tired of travelling abroad and not afraid to say something about it. Little does she know, we are not taking a cruise back to Zurich.

We check in at the hotel and it seems like paradise...no...it IS paradise. It's a freakin botanical-lost city of Atlantis-paradise...for about 2 hours. Then the sky darkens, the wind picks up...and I mean it picks up just about everything that is not nailed down to something...and the rain begins. This doesn't bother me. I love a good storm. Rick, on the other hand is dashing back and forth from the laptop to the window for play by play weather updates for the rest of the week.

Right...so skipping ahead to bedtime. We're thinking we have it in the bag. The kids are exhausted..or as Cate says "zausted" from travelling all day. They're sleeping for sure. What really happens is this: Cate begins her asthma attack promptly at the moment of our heads hitting our pillows. This lasts until about 4am when her meds finally begin to kick in. Meanwhile, on the other side of the villa, for reasons unknown, Sean is working up a very impressive fever. He's as hot as a hot pocket (I know that is not lost on some of you reading this....).

The night began with my husband and I in a fluffy king sized bed with too many pillows to count and visions of delicious sound sleep dancing in our heads. It ended with us both in seperate beds, each with a sick child. Not what we had in mind.

Right about now, (at this very moment, I mean) we have been awake far too long..we don't even know how long, exactly. But we managed to get in some ping pong, swimming (indoor pool, of course) and a windy walk on the beach.

Just some random crap: you would think that the market place inside the hotel would carry such essentials like a thermometer or maybe some baby tylenol. It doesn't. My fault for not bringing the thermometer, I know. But a kind stranger overheard us asking for one and demanded that I let her take me to the pharmacy down the road. Sure...I was worried for a second that I might end up on the black market somewhere...but my love and concern for Sean helped me to look beyond that possibility.

Also, after being the in the villa about five minutes, Cate was already using the (how do you spell it) toilet to wash your bum as her own sink. She was very proud of herself and showed me her exact technique.

More updates and photos to follow...as if there were any doubts.